You use the Internet for a number of things, but turning to your laptop to apply for a mortgage has probably not crossed your mind. Technology hasn’t just made shopping for a home easier; it has also made it a lot more convenient to apply for a loan.
1. Compare Lenders – This is probably the largest purchase you are going to make in your entire life, so it makes sense to do some comparison shopping. Not only do you need a good rate, you also want exceptional customer service. Online tools allow you to pull up a list of several quotes from different providers so you can decide which ones to look a little closer at.
2. Handy Calculators – You are more than capable of taking a home’s price, subtracting the amount you have for a down payment, and then dividing that figure by the number of months you plan on financing it. However, this does not factor in tax, interest, etc. Online calculators allow you to get a more accurate idea of what you can afford.
3. No Handwriting – People today spend so much time on the computer that actually hand writing something (other than their signature for a credit card purchase) seems like a foreign concept. When you apply online you get to type everything, which probably feels a lot more natural to you!
4. Digital Signature – Not all that long ago, if you were applying for any type of loan or credit card, you had to print the form to sign and then fax, mail, or scan and email to the recipient. Thanks to e-signatures, you can “sign” right online.
5. Information at Your Fingertips – Many lenders offer an app that can be uploaded to your phone. This gives you current requests and progress from the lender.
6. Apply around Your Schedule – If you work all day, going to apply for a loan in person can be a hassle. Even if you can make it there on your lunch hour, you won’t get a chance to eat and you will probably get stuck in traffic heading back. Rushing just adds more stress to your day. When you apply online, you can do so at any time – even if it’s midnight after you get done working second shift.
7. Track Progress – Obtaining a mortgage is a long process. When you handle it online you won’t have to keep calling to get an update.
Applying for a mortgage online certainly does simplify the process. However, it is still very important to put some thought into hiring the right loan officer. Your real estate agent may even be able to refer you to someone they trust.